2020-19 - Publication of Alternative Minimum Pen Space Allocation Policy under ASEL 3.0 Publication of Alternative Minimum Pen Space Allocation Policy under ASEL 3.0 – This EAN has been superseded with EAN 2020-23
9 October 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-19 PDF?||2||203 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these?files, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians
- Australian Livestock Exporter’s Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
To advise stakeholders that the department has published a new policy for access to alternative minimum pen space allocation, as provided for under standard 5.3.3 of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0.
- Following consultation with key stakeholders, the policy for alternative minimum pen space allocation under ASEL 3.0 has changed.
- The new Alternative minimum pen space allocation policy is now available on the department’s website.
- The policy applies to exporters seeking to access the Alternative minimum pen space allocation for consignments of cattle loaded at a port north of latitude 26° south in accordance with standard 5.3.3 of ASEL 3.0, from 1 November 2020.
- The policy sets out the revised criteria against which exporters must assess their own eligibility for access to the alternative minimum pen space allocation on a consignment by consignment basis.
- Exporters must have approval under their Approved Arrangement (AA) to access alternative minimum pen space allocation when eligible under the policy.
- The Approved Arrangement Guidelines for the export of livestock have been updated to reflect the new requirements.
- Exporters must identify their intent to use the alternative minimum pen space allocation in their AA.
- Exporters with an AA variation currently under assessment can make this change at the same time as they are addressing comments received from assessors.
- On 22 April 2020, the department published a new version of ASEL. ASEL 3.0 will apply to all consignments that leave Australia on or after 1 November 2020. ASEL 2.3 continues to apply for all consignments that leave Australia on or before 31 October 2020.
- Information on the transition to ASEL 3.0 can be found on the department’s transitioning to ASEL 3.0 webpage.
- The department published a new version of the Approved Arrangement Guidelines for the export of livestock earlier this year to align with ASEL 3.0 requirements, which included a guideline for alternative pen space area. Following consultation throughout August and September 2020 the process for alternative minimum pen space allocation changed, and as a result the Approved Arrangement Guidelines for the export of livestock were amended.
Director, Operations and Governance
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581